Oct 5, 2013

Toothy Dreams

I have never been one to get into the whole dream interpretation thing --  mostly because I have a difficult time remembering my dreams.

Lately, I have been remembering my dreams better and have noticed that a large percentage of them involve my teeth breaking, crumbling, or falling out.  It is so disturbing and I wake up thanking my lucky stars that it was just a dream and will not have to invest in dentures.

Finally, after several dreams like this, I decided to look up what this all means...or could mean, rather.

I went to this website and found this explanation:

One theory is that dreams about your teeth reflect your anxieties about your appearance and how others perceive you. Your teeth help to convey an image of attractiveness and play an important role in the game of flirtation, whether it is flashing those pearly white, kissing or necking. Thus, such dreams may stem from a fear of rejection, sexual impotence or the consequences of getting old. To support this notion, a dream research found that women in menopause report to have frequent dreams about teeth. This points to teeth dreams as being related to getting older and/or feeling unattractive and less feminine. Teeth are an important feature to your attractiveness and how you are presented to others. Caring about how you look is natural and healthy.

Another rationalization for these falling teeth dreams may be rooted in your fear of being embarrassed or making a fool of yourself in some situation. These dreams are an over-exaggeration of your worries and anxieties. Perhaps you feel that you are unprepared for the task at hand. However, you will find that your worries are unfounded in most cases. Sometimes what plays out in your mind is far worse than what is reality.

Teeth are used to bite, tear, chew and gnaw. In this regard, teeth symbolize power. And the loss of teeth in your dream may be from a sense of powerlessness. Are you lacking power in some current situation? Perhaps you are having difficulties expressing yourself or getting your point across. You feel frustrated when your voice is not being heard. You may be experiencing feelings of inferiority and a lack of self-confidence in some situation or relationship in your life. This dream may be an indication that you need to be more assertive and believe in the importance of what you have to say. 


Did they really use the term "necking" in that explanation?  Anyway, I digress...

This makes so much SENSE!! It makes sense for the following reasons:

  • I am in a perpetual anxious state about my appearance and how others perceive me.  I can't help it.  I am working on it.  I am honestly considering finding a therapist to help me with this.  
  • I feel unattractive most of the time and it is honestly having an effect on my love life.  Tim thinks I look great.  I disagree.  It is complicated... (another reason I want to find a therapist.)
  • I do have anxiety of making a fool of myself in my professional life.  There is a lot of accountability in my job and I have to be very detail oriented.  I am always afraid of missing something.  Also, I have had increased responsibilities, so the "unprepared for the task at hand" part makes sense.
  • Powerlessness.  This also makes a lot of sense in my life.  I have had that feeling in relation to my health lately.  I know I am the only one with the power to make a change, but I have felt like my power was taken away somehow.  Thankfully, I am finally started to get that empowered feeling back.
  • I definitely need to be more assertive.  
I found this to be incredibly interesting.  So, if you are having strange reoccurring dreams with a theme like this, maybe look into the interpretation behind it.  What do you think your dreams say about you? There may be more to it than you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...