I am now entering my 4th day of the Whole 30 program. While I am still feeling a bit hungry and experiencing cravings, I am doing well over all. I have really learned about what impulses got me to this weight to begin with, that is for sure! So far, so good though.
When lunch time rolled around yesterday, I could not stand the thought of another spinach salad. I just wanted something different from the norm. So, I went to the fridge and assessed what I had on hand. I noticed a pound of extra lean ground beef and a head of cabbage. Cabbage rolls!!
I got to work and literally just threw this recipe together and it was yummy and very satisfying.
I was only making a single serving of this, so I pulled 3 large cabbage leaves from the head and put it in a pot with a shallow amount of water. I brought the water to a boil, put a lid on the pot, and steamed the cabbage.
Traditionally, cabbage rolls have rice mixed in to the meat filling. Since rice is a Whole 30 no-no, I decided to mix some extra veggies in with the meat. I chose mushrooms, celery, carrots, and onion. I diced them up pretty small.
I cooked 4 ounces of the lean ground beef in a pan along with the veggie mixture.
When the meat is finished set aside and begin making your tomato sauce. It isn't pictured, because I forgot to photograph that step. Whoops! All I did was take a half a cup of tomato puree and added in spices to my liking. I chose to use garlic powder, chili powder, and a little cayenne pepper.
By the time the sauce and meat are finished, the cabbage leaves should be nicely steamed. Take out a leaf and fill it with one third of the meat filling. I also put a little sauce on top. Then, roll it up!
When all the cabbage rolls are...well...rolled, put them in a baking pan. I put some sauce on the bottom of the pan before putting the rolls in, and then topped each roll with sauce. Then, I popped it in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes.
This was my yummy result! It was a nice change of pace for lunch and I loved it because I could easily make a single serving.
Ingredients (for single serving):
- 3 large cabbage leaves
- 4 ounces of extra lean ground beef or turkey
- 1/2 cup tomato puree (I used organic). Tomato sauce would also work great here, but I only had the puree on hand.
- veggies for filling -- You can use anything, but I used onion, mushroom, celery, and carrot. I eyeballed the amount.
- spices for the sauce -- Again, use what you like. I used garlic power, cayenne pepper, and chili powder.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Steam cabbage leaves in a pot with a small amount of water. You want to steam -- not boil.
- Cook your meat and diced veggies in pan until meat is browned.
- Prepare sauce: Mix the tomato puree with the seasoning of your choice.
- Remove cabbage leaves from the pot. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Prepare your baking dish by spreading some sauce on the bottom of the pan.
- Fill cabbage leaves with meat filling and a little sauce and roll -- kind of like you are rolling up a burrito.
- Place rolls in pan.
- Top rolls with the rest of the sauce.
- Bake for about 20-30 minutes
Fat: 4 grams
Carbs: 34 grams
Today, I am linking this recipe up with Amy at The Diary of a Fat Mommy!