Jul 25, 2013

Recipe: Cabbage Rolls - Whole 30 Style

I am now entering my 4th day of the Whole 30 program.  While I am still feeling a bit hungry and experiencing cravings, I am doing well over all.  I have really learned about what impulses got me to this weight to begin with, that is for sure!  So far, so good though.

When lunch time rolled around yesterday, I could not stand the thought of another spinach salad.  I just wanted something different from the norm.  So, I went to the fridge and assessed what I had on hand.  I noticed a pound of extra lean ground beef and a head of cabbage.  Cabbage rolls!!

I got to work and literally just threw this recipe together and it was yummy and very satisfying.

I was only making a single serving of this, so I pulled 3 large cabbage leaves from the head and put it in a pot with a shallow amount of water.  I brought the water to a boil, put a lid on the pot, and steamed the cabbage.

Traditionally, cabbage rolls have rice mixed in to the meat filling.  Since rice is a Whole 30 no-no, I decided to mix some extra veggies in with the meat.  I chose mushrooms, celery, carrots, and onion.  I diced them up pretty small.

I cooked 4 ounces of the lean ground beef in a pan along with the veggie mixture.  

When the meat is finished set aside and begin making your tomato sauce.  It isn't pictured, because I forgot to photograph that step.  Whoops!  All I did was take a half a cup of tomato puree and added in spices to my liking.  I chose to use garlic powder, chili powder, and a little cayenne pepper.  

By the time the sauce and meat are finished, the cabbage leaves should be nicely steamed.  Take out a leaf and fill it with one third of the meat filling.  I also put a little sauce on top.  Then, roll it up!

When all the cabbage rolls are...well...rolled, put them in a baking pan.  I put some sauce on the bottom of the pan before putting the rolls in, and then topped each roll with sauce.  Then, I popped it in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes.


This was my yummy result!  It was a nice change of pace for lunch and I loved it because I could easily make a single serving.  

Ingredients (for single serving):

  • 3 large cabbage leaves
  • 4 ounces of extra lean ground beef or turkey
  • 1/2 cup tomato puree (I used organic). Tomato sauce would also work great here, but I only had the puree on hand. 
  • veggies for filling -- You can use anything, but I used onion, mushroom, celery, and carrot.  I eyeballed the amount.
  • spices for the sauce -- Again, use what you like.  I used garlic power, cayenne pepper, and chili powder.
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Steam cabbage leaves in a pot with a small amount of water.  You want to steam -- not boil.
  3. Cook your meat and diced veggies in pan until meat is browned.
  4. Prepare sauce:  Mix the tomato puree with the seasoning of your choice.
  5. Remove cabbage leaves from the pot.  Pat dry with paper towels.  
  6. Prepare your baking dish by spreading some sauce on the bottom of the pan.
  7. Fill cabbage leaves with meat filling and a little sauce and roll -- kind of like you are rolling up a burrito.
  8. Place rolls in pan.
  9. Top rolls with the rest of the sauce.
  10. Bake for about 20-30 minutes

Calories: 283
Fat: 4 grams
Carbs: 34 grams



button
Today, I am linking this recipe up with Amy at The Diary of a Fat Mommy!

7 comments:

  1. This looks so good and different. I am definitely going to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good. Just throw whatever you want in there, and it turns out, basically.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. You're welcome! I was really pleased. In my mind, it was kind of comfort food-ish.

      Delete
  3. Looks delicious, I love that it's not a "cold" dish. Love the fact that it's almost like a lasagna. Thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love stuffed cabbage and make it once or twice a year--I often think of making it for just me (2 or 3 pieces) but then I would have to buy a whole cabbage! What I do sometimes is buy a can of saurcraut--stir in some sweet and low--throw in some hamburger and a dash of ketchup--what I never thought of doing was adding in diced veggies!! What a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You think it would taste good if I froze these? Looking for some oamc recipes.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...