May 21, 2013

Faces of a Dressing Room...

I read a really good blog post today from one of my favorite blogs, where the author talked about her difficulty being confident enough to buy great clothes, her insecurities, etc.  I identified with every single word.  It inspired this post because it is something that has been on my mind due to a recent, somewhat unsuccessful attempt to purchase new clothes.

My experiences in a dressing room can be summed up by a few different facial expressions... (Again, I hate taking pictures of myself, but for demonstration purposes, I felt it necessary.)

FACE #1


Unfortunately, this is the most frequent look on my face.  This is the "Oh HOLY HELL!" look.  This look is reserved for those occasions where I see an awesome outfit on the hanger that I JUST KNOW is gonna look great, and then I am sucked back into reality.  Recently, this is the look that appears on my face on most of the occasions that involve trying on maxi dresses.  NONE OF THEM have EVER looked even remotely good on me, yet I keep trying them on and holding out hope that one fine day that I won't look like a manatee in the damn things.  All I want is a cute long dress that can be worn with flip flops!  Is that so much to ask?  


FACE #2

This is the look on my face that is reserved for bathing suits.  (bahahaha)  All I can say, is thank Baby Jesus that bathing suits now exist where you can buy skirt or short bottoms.  


FACE #3

This look is either really good or really bad.  Most recently, it was the look I got because I tried on a size 16 dress that actually fit...and didn't just fit, FIT WELL.  I was in shock.  When this look is good, it is usually followed by a happy dance.  Seriously, if I love an outfit or fit into a smaller size, dancing does occur.  When this look is bad, I am usually shocked and disgusted by my bat wing arm flab, muffin top (So, sad that muffin top has a negative connotation, because they are, in fact, the most delicious part of the muffin...but I digress.), or the width of my butt.  


FACE #4


This is the dressing room face that I aspire to have.  I aspire to be happy with the way I am.  This does not mean that I want every outfit I try on to magically look hot.  This means that I want to be happy in my own skin.  This means that I want to be able to look in the mirror without automatically tearing myself down...to be able to acknowledge when I actually do look good.  This face to me is happy, confident, and care free in a sense.  

Where did this all come from?  Well, I mentioned that I was inspired by another blogger, but it was really something I was toying with after an experience that I had this weekend.  I have a family wedding to go to this weekend (Congrats to Lauren and Ryan!).  Since I knew that I had this event to go to, I was in the search for a dress.  I wanted something fun and pretty for an outdoor, spring wedding.  Anyway, awhile back I found one I liked and bought it online.  I tried it on again this weekend and I had a really hard time.  It fit.  It probably looks nice, but it is almost like I feel like I don't deserve to look nice in something so fun and cute.  Although, the dress is perfectly decent, I kept looking at it and wondering if it was too short for someone like me (translation: a fat chick) to wear.   I am going to suck it up and wear it anyway because, well, I don't have time to find anything else, and hope to not be self conscious the whole time.  I just want a time where I feel pretty, fun, and confident.  It is hard to imagine that this day will ever come, but I am going to work on it.  

I really need to step outside of my box and decide to try on and wear things that I automatically assume will make me look gross.  I need to shop with friends, because most of my friends and relatives have great senses of style!  I need their help.  Are you listening friends and family?!  I need your help!  That is assuming that anyone is even reading this.  

Until that fine day where I can have more number fours than number ones, I will try to remember this:




And this...


because it is seriously hilarious...and TRUE!   hehehehe

but no, seriously, the first one... :)












No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...