Jun 25, 2013

Chipotle Knock Off Success!

So, one of my very favorite fast food meals is a burrito bowl from Chipotle.  They are so damn good.  The calories are a bit scary though.  Because I love them so much, I really wanted to challenge myself to recreate this deliciousness at home, so I did. I got the idea for the marinade on Pinterest.  It turned out GREAT!  Thank you, Pinterest!!

First, I had to prep the marinade:


I put about a pound and a half of chicken tenders in a ziploc bag with 2 chopped up chipotle peppers in adobo, juice from half a lime, and a handful of chopped cilantro.

In a separate dish, I mixed one pouch of fajita mix in with 1/4 cup of olive oil.  (I just noticed the tiny fingers in this picture.  My daughter was helping with the food prep. ;)

I mixed this mixture in with the chicken and made sure each piece was completely covered.  I marinated it for about an hour.

Grill it up!

While the chicken was grilling a sauteed green peppers and red onions in a pan.



I chopped up the chicken and assembled my burrito bowl. I couldn't wait to try a bite.  It was awesome!

I layered my bowl with brown rice (the Steamfresh kind from the freezer section), corn kernels (I had left over corn on the cob), peppers and onions, pico de gallo, chicken, a sprinkle of cheese, and light sour cream.


It was really just so good!  I think I would omit the sour cream next time.  There is so much flavor, I really didn't need it.  May as well save on the calories!

Chicken Marinade Recipe:
1-1.5 pounds of chicken breasts or chicken tenders
1/2 a lime, juice
2 chipotle peppers in adobo, chopped
handful of cilantro, chopped 
1 pouch of fajita seasoning
1/4 cup olive oil

- Put chicken in large ziploc bag
- Add in chopped cilantro and chipotle peppers
- Mix oil and fajita seasoning together in a bowl.  Pour over chicken.
- Coat chicken completely.
- Marinate for at least an hour.
- Grill up and serve!



%mexico %expat

2 comments:

  1. Ha! Really looks so yum and you are creative to make this one at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If this tastes like Chipotle then I definitely gonna have to try this. I load up my Chipotle burrito with everything but the rice and the beans. I remember one time they could barely wrap it. My daughter started laughing. I love, Love, LOVE their burritos. They're the best.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...