Jun 24, 2014

Summer Clothes I Love

I love summer.  I love the warm sun.  I love the fun activities.  I love the food.  I love that I HAVE SUMMERS OFF!  The only part of summer that I do not particularly care for is fashion.  Growing up a chubby chick, I have always dreaded the time of year where I have no choice but to shed the hooded sweatshirts and jeans in place of clothing that is more revealing.  This has always been a struggle for me.

This summer, I have tried to branch out a bit and try to enjoy clothes.  It occurred to me that there is no reason why I am not allowed to wear shorts, skirts and cute things just because there is a little more jiggle in my step.  ;o)  I should not be stuck sweating it out and miserable in clothing that covers me up!

Luckily, this summer I have found some looks that I feel cute in.  They are looks that are still flattering, but definitely summer appropriate.  Of course, it also helps that I do not have to dress up for work during the summer.  I usually have until August to figure out what I am going to do about that!

So without further ado, here are my favs for the season...

(By the way, I decided to use Polyvore for this because as I have previously stated, I SUCK at mirror selfies.  SUCK, I tells ya!  And my husband looks at me like I have a third nostril every time I ask him to take pics of me for what he sees as no apparent reason.  It is the same look he gives me when I take pictures of what I am eating.  <sigh>

ANYHOO...


This first one is probably the look I go for most.  I love cropped jeans with the rolled leg.  I honestly just use an old pair of jeans that I roll up myself.  I also LOVE Old Navy graphic tees.  I especially love them now that I have moved out of wearing exclusively women's plus tees.  Now that I can wear the XXL in regular women's, there are tons of cute options.  I never understood that though.  A t-shirt is a t-shirt!  Throw in some extra fabric and let the plus sized ladies have the same choices, dang it!  But, I digress...   I also love the classic black converse.  So cute.  I love the way they look.  I finish off most of my outfits with a Vera Bradley cross body purse.  The cross body bag is perfect when you need your hands free to wrangle children at the park.  I also love the fun patterns.  I have been really lucky though because I have gotten all my Vera bags at the outlet sale for low prices.  If anyone knows ANYTHING about me it is that I am a bargain/clearance shopper!


The next look I love is the maxi skirt with a basic t-shirt and flip flops.  I had wanted a maxi skirt forever, but was too cheap to pay $30+ for one.  My day was made one night when I was shopping alone at Target (a rare, yet beautiful occurrence), and I found one in MY SIZE on the clearance rack for a whopping $7.99!! JACKPOT!!  Again, most of my t-shirts are Old Navy or Gap.  I don't ever pay more than $10 for a t-shirt, by the way --- cause it is a t-shirt.  There is no way I am paying more than that unless it has magic belly fat melting powers.  I don't have this EXACT bag, but I have one that is very similar that I got off the ideeli website for $20 (Originally a $100 bag --- CHA CHING!)  Anyway, I love this look because I feel well put together and pretty in it.  It is also so comfortable it isn't even funny.



I have also grown very fond of sun dresses.  The one pictured is very close to one that I recently purchased at the Gap Oulet store.  It cost me a mere $12.  I was super pumped because not only was I comfortably fitting into a Gap dress, but it looked cute too!  I pair it with a white cardigan (because I still am not comfortable enough with my arms to go sleeveless), a pretty necklace, and some simple, yet pretty flip flops. I wore this outfit out with Tim on a recent date night and I felt very comfortable and pretty.  

The last look I really like for the summer is basic jean shorts with a pretty shirt and basic canvas shoes.  I don't want to wear t-shirts ALL the time (although it is tempting), so I try to pair something casual like shorts with a pretty top.  I have a shirt similar to the one above (I could not find of pic of the actual one I own). I have to say that wearing shorts has been a HUGE step for me.  I have not worn them in years.  I decided recently that it was stupid for me to sweat just because I hate my pasty, wide calves.  Nobody will be paying attention or caring unless I am wearing said shorts around my ankles.  I decided to just get over it.  I also like my canvas TOMS and sunglasses are also a good call.

I know these outfits are nothing profound.  It is just a big deal for me to break out into something other than old t-shirts, jeans, and yoga pants during the summer.  I am feeling more confident in my own skin and have decided that there is no reason why I can't dress the part.  

What about you? What are your favorite summer looks?





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...