Jun 30, 2014

Recipe: Summer Tuna Pasta Salad

I spend the summers at home with my children.  I LOVE that I get to do this.  During the summer, lunches are always tricky for me when trying so hard to eat healthy.  It is so tempting to just eat a bowl of mac 'n cheese or a hot dog with the kids.  It is also tricky not to snack, so the lunch that I choose HAS to keep me full for the afternoon.

This recipe is one of my favorite go to lunches when I am at home during the summer.  It is good for packing too, but I like this recipe a lot better when the pasta is hot and fresh from the stove.  This recipe is adapted from a recipe that I found on the Skinny Taste website.  I liked the idea of the recipe, but was not a fan of some of the ingredients, so I adapted it slightly to appeal more to my personal taste.


Ingredients Needed:

Fresh Baby Spinach (I use a handful or two.)
Fresh Grape Tomatoes, sliced in half (I don't measure...usually a small handful.)
1 can of chunk light tuna in water (albacore is yummy too)
1 serving of whole wheat penne pasta
1 T olive oil
1/2 T red wine vinegar (balsamic would be good too)
1 teaspoon of grated parmesan
pepper

Instructions
  1. Cook your pasta according to package instructions.
  2. While pasta is cooking, layer your plate with spinach and tomatoes.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk oil, vinegar, and parmesan cheese together.  Pour dressing over spinach and tomatoes.
  4. When pasta is finished, drain and pour hot pasta over the spinach.  I like doing it this way because it wilts the spinach down a little.
  5. Layer the tuna on top of the pasta.
  6. Sprinkle with some pepper.
  7. Enjoy!!
I typically eat this and then have a bowl of fresh fruit for dessert.  If I am also drinking my water the way I should, I am satisfied until dinner time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...