May 26, 2014

Summer Corn Salad

This weekend, my aunt and uncle hosted their annual Memorial Day weekend barbecue.  Of course, in true family barbecue tradition, it was a pitch in meal.

I had a couple strategies for what I would bring...

Strategy 1:  I decided to bring a healthy veggie salad that I could eat and not feel guilty about.

Strategy 2:  I have been wanting to try this recipe I found on Pinterest for banana pudding.  It is Paula Deen's recipe, so we all know how that goes as far as fat and sugar go.  HOWEVER, I still wanted to try it.  So, instead of making an entire batch that I would be tempted to eat my way through at home, I decided to make it to share.  I had one serving and it was delicious.  I sent some more home with family and I am taking some to work to give to some co-workers.  I still got to indulge in trying a dessert I have wanted to try, but I don't have the guilt associated with it -- which is what I WOULD have if it was still in my fridge calling my name.

Today, I would like to share the recipe for the corn salad. I found the recipe on the all recipes website. I have invented a few of my own dishes, but I mostly find them online.  I am going to share it here, but I cannot take credit for anything other than following a very simple recipe.

This recipe is just so pretty.  It really is like summer in a bowl.

I started out cooking 8 ears of corn in a pot.  When they were finished, I ran cold water over them to help cool them off.  Then, I began cutting the corn off the cob.  I love it when the corn comes off in these big pieces.  Fresh sweet corn is one of my favorite things about summer eating!


I set the cut corn off to the side to cool and then began on the rest of the salad.  The recipe calls for garden fresh tomatoes.  Well, I don't have any of those yet.  When it comes to store bought tomatoes, I prefer the sweetness of the grape tomatoes.  I cannot WAIT to make this salad when I have tomatoes straight from the garden though!  


Anyway, I sliced the tomatoes in two and added chopped sweet onion and fresh basil.  I rolled the basil leaves and sliced them into little ribbons (I, uh, learned that from Rachael Ray back when she did 30 Minute Meals...thanks, Rach!)  


Next, I put in the corn and added some salt and pepper.  The dressing is simple!  I just mixed 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil with 2 tablespoons of white balsamic vinegar.  I tossed it together and put it in the fridge to chill for later.  This would be yummy at room temperature also.

This was a great dish.  I can definitely see myself making this as a light summer side dish.  I think it would be fantastic paired with fish or shrimp.

It was a big hit at the barbecue!  Enjoy!!

Summer Corn Salad

8 ears of corn, cooked
3 large, fresh tomatoes (I used a container of grape tomatoes and a container of yellow cherry tomatoes)
Half of a sweet onion, chopped finely
1/2 cup of fresh basil, chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
2 T white balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper

  1. Cook ears of corn.  I used boiling water, but this could be awesome with grilled corn also!
  2. Take the corn off the cob and place in a dish.  Set aside to cool.
  3. Chop tomatoes, onion, and basil.  Place in your salad bowl.
  4. Add in corn and toss together.
  5. Combine vinegar and oil.  Toss into the salad.  Add salt and pepper to taste.






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...