Mar 9, 2014

Flying Pigs

I ran my first 5K....well kind of ran my first 5K in October 2012.  I decided to do a Color Run.  I thought it would be “fun.”  Pffffffffft...  Let me share a little background...

I trained for this 5K for about 12 weeks.  I trained on a treadmill with no incline.  THEN, I decided to run a 5K in downtown Cincinnati, Ohio.  I decided to run a 5K (with no outdoor terrain training)  in a city which is nicknamed  “The City of Seven Hills.”  BRILLIANT!



So, picture this...

I am waiting patiently for the next heat to be released to run.  I have my music ready.  I am PUMPED!  The dude at the starting line tells us to go and I am off!  I am running with my music....running like the wind...albeit a very calm wind.  About 2 minutes into running I realize....this shit hurts!  Pavement hurts!  Holy crap, I still have 2.8 miles to go!  Somebody just get my stretcher now!  THEN, I get past mile one and get the color powder crap thrown on me.  I cannot breathe.  I cannot see.  I am grumpy because I am already walking.  I feel like a failed, already
.
Luckily, I did end up finishing the race.  I walked more than I would like to admit.  I did not feel as proud of myself as I had hoped.





Well, I want to do it again.  The Flying Pig Marathon is a Cincinnati tradition.  Of course, it is an actual MARATHON – which there is no way in hell I am ready for.  The cool part is that they also have 5K and 10K options.  I would love to try to run the 5K this year.  Quite frankly, I want another shot at this. I think I am better off than I was the first time I ran.

I really would like a running partner though.  Requirement include:

  • Must be willing to run with someone who runs like a calm wind...or breeze.  Yeah, THAT’s IT! You must run like the breeze!
  • Must not be offended by cursing and must be willing to ignore my pleads to put me out of my misery.  
  • Must be certified in CPR (Well, not really, but it couldn’t hurt!  LOL)

Anybody up for it?



I am linking up with the Motivation Monday team today.  The prospect of running this 5K in a couple months has definitely motivated me enough to get my exercise in!


Daily Dose of Del Signore

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up with us! I remember running my first outside race after "training" on the treadmill. Yeah can't really call that training. It gets better though and next time you will feel accomplishment because all you have to do is run more and you've already improved!

    Plus, you improved the first time just by getting out there and doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of doing a marathon, but I just hate the actual running. You're doing great. Well done on that. Glad you share your marathon experience here.

    herweightlossdiary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...