Jul 10, 2012

It's been a long time...

Well, I have done really well with this blog.  I have posted once -- the introduction post, mind you -- since March.  Oh well, as I said, this blog is mostly so I can get my thoughts and feelings down in writing for personal reasons.  I guess the lack of posts means that I did not need this.  Now, I feel like I kinda do...

For the past twelve weeks or so, I have started to make a conscious effort to better myself -- health wise.  I feel like if  I better my physical health, the rest will fall into place (more or less).  It has not been easy, but I have done a lot of soul searching and research and found a method that is slowly working for me.  So, why the sudden change in heart?  It occurred to me that if I don't take control of my health NOW, then I am going to die.  Yes, of course, we are all going to die....but if I don't get control now I am going to die before I should.  I would hate to leave my children and husband before my time because it was so important that I eat with abandon and work on deepening the butt groove on my side of the sofa.

Well, how have I approached my new lifestyle?  Well, I will share that now...


  1. I did my research -- I found out that a lot of things were compromising my metabolism.  I learned that soy products (especially the processed ones) and artificial sweeteners were screwing with my hormone balance and this was having a direct influence on my weight loss.  I had gone weeks where I thought I was eating well, but my diet included a lot of soy and sweeteners.  During those weeks, I never lost (and sometimes gained) weight.  I also learned the harm in processed food products.  So, I have also decided to eat more cleanly.  A really great book on this topic is Master Your Metabolism by Jillian Michaels.  She has some great advice -- most of which I have followed.  The only thing I cannot get fully on board with is the concept of eating all organic foods.  I am sorry, but it is not economically feasible for me to purchase a quart of strawberries for $6.00.  I try to buy organic products when I can, I am just not fully on board with purchasing these products exclusively.  
  2. Calorie Counting -- Weight loss is basically calories in and calories out.  I decided to begin counting calories instead of following Weight Watcher points, etc., so that I can know exactly what I am consuming and  burning.  I have had success with Weight Watchers, but not knowing the calories seemed like a disadvantage to me.  Plus, it wasn't working for me any more.  People think of calorie counting and they think of it as being tedious -- which I am sure it can be.  I began using an awesome (and free) calorie counting website called My Fitness Pal.  Here I can keep track of my daily calorie intake and burn.  This is all done with a very user-friendly online diary.  They have a data base which includes nearly every food you would need-- including restaurants.  You can even scan bar  codes off food items and it will find it in the data base for you.  I have found very few foods which were not in the database.  It is a fantastic resource.
  3. Exercise --  One of the most noticeable elements missing from my lifestyle change was activity.  I have never been athletic or really had ever found a physical activity that I didn't ultimately get tired of after a short amount of time.  During the first week, I started off by walking on the treadmill.   That was boring to me.  So, then I started jogging -- well that's more like it!  So, I was walking/jogging a mile or so every night.  That was good and all, but I felt like I wasn't getting anywhere.  I wanted to increase my endurance, but I wasn't sure how to go about it.  Then, after seeing other friends post about it on Facebook, I decided to pursue the Couch to 5K program.  I started it and I haven't looked back.  It really works as far as increasing endurance and the intervals in the beginning stages are a great means for burning fat.  It has also increased my self confidence.  I am proud of myself!  I never believed that running would be an activity I could do for any length of time -- let alone enjoy!   I am signed up for my first 5K (The Color Run) in October.  
These are all works in progress.  There are still days where I want to eat a pack of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups more than I want to work out -- even though I know what is best for me.  There are still many many days where I don't get all the water in that I should (I REALLY need to work on this.) I am not perfect and I have a long, long way to go.  I am hoping to get there though -- mostly for my health and to improve my self-image.  I kind of also want to do it to show all those people out there that I did it!  So many of them are used to me losing a little and gaining back or never losing at all.  I want to prove that I am not all talk.  Here's hoping!

Weight Check-In:
Starting Weight: 263
Current Weight: 249
Total Loss: 14 pounds



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...